The State Normal and Industrial School for women was opened by Dr. Charles Duncan McIver on October 5, 1892. Dr. McIver was passionate about education and he really helped get the school up and running. He became the first president of the school and served until 1906. 223 students were in attendance at the end of the first year and they were enrolled in classes that fell under categories such as “commercial, domestic science, and pedagogy” according to UNC-G’s website.
This building was originally called the Main Building when it was constructed in 1892. As the school grew over the next few years, additional wings were added to accommodate this growth.
In 1908, the addition of the two wings was completed and the building changed names. It was known as the Administration Building until 1960 when it changed names again. This time it was called the Foust Building in honor of Julius Issac Foust who served as the second president of the college for nearly 30 years. It wasn’t until 1964 that men were allowed to enroll in this school. 1963 would be the last year the school was known as the Women’s College of the University of North Carolina and it became the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Photos courtesy of Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, NC, USA.